Friday, September 9, 2011

My Special Bookshelf

One of my favorite things that I have made special is my bookshelf.
I’ve had this bookshelf in my room for about 5 years now and I hope to keep it many more years. My dad is the person who built the bookshelf, so that’s already one thing special about it. The top shelf usually consists of my journals, sketchbooks, and some books. Also an old clock that I found in the basement of the house I grew up in. The second shelf has a mirror covering most of it, but there are a couple jars on the shelf filled with cool rocks that I’ve found I varies places, along with some little bottles that my dad collected when he was a kid.
The third shelf down has row of books, an old camera that belonged to my dad, and a skull that my boyfriend found while we were in Costa Rica (we think it’s possibly a dog skull).
The bottom three shelves contain more books, notebooks, National Geographic magazines, letters, a container full of spools, and an unsuccessful piece I made in my glass blowing class last year.

I usually have the same basic layout to my bookshelf, with random stuff on the top shelves, and all my books/magazines on the bottom, but the things on the shelves definitely change. During my move to Humboldt I got rid of a lot of things off my shelf, and the things that remain mean a lot to me. The side of my bookshelf usually has different photos of me and friends or cool places I’ve been/want to go.
In my old room my bookshelf use to be across from the bed so it would be one of the first things I saw when I woke up, now it’s next to my bed so it’s one of the first things I see when I walk in my room. I really enjoy just having it there to look at. There are so many memories within the items on the shelves, in the pages of my journals/sketchbooks, and not to mention the wonderful stories within my favorite books on the lower shelves. I really can’t imagine my room without this bookshelf I’ve spent a lot of time making it extra extra special.

1 comment:

  1. So I just want to say I love your bookself. I like that its not only functional, but its also means a lot to you. I use to do the samething with my bookshelves. Not only with the extra stuff I put on, but with the organization of my books. I was upset that I wouldnt have one in my dorm room. Do you have a way of organizing thats special to you?

    ReplyDelete